Emily's Reviews > The Sherwood Ring

The Sherwood Ring by Elizabeth Marie Pope

Mar 08, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: historical, mystery, supernatural, young-adult
Read in March, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book is crippled by its structure. This should have been a historical romance, served straight up. Instead, it's a convoluted tale of a bland, lonely, 1950s girl visited by four 18th century ghosts who tell their stories one by one, each in indistinguishable first person voices. With one exception, once a ghost appears, he is never seen again, which makes it hard to grow very attached to any of the characters, no matter how interesting his or her tale. Oddly, so little of the book takes place in the modern setting that bland-lonely-girl never gets to be anything else. She's just our access point to the good stuff, really.

In fact, only three of the six main characters, and only one of the three romances in this story interested me. Barbara and Peaceable were WONDERFUL. Pat and Peggy's story I loathed, as it rather soured the reading experience for me. This "modern" couple was not only uninteresting, but offensive in its sad, dated way. Peggy has spent her whole life being dismissed and neglected by the men in her family only to end up engaged to a broke earl who tells her she's stupid at least twice, then promises her a future of miserable sock-darning? Jeez, way to end on a romantic note!

Peaceable alone makes this a worthwhile read, but you're better off starting with The Perilous Gard if you want to see what this author is capable of.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sherwood Ring.