Kathy Hiester's Reviews > The Girl in the Green Raincoat

The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman

Mar 03, 11

Read in March, 2011

This was my first read by Laura Lippman and I was delighted. The story opens with the main character, Tess, in the third trimester of her pregnancy and on bed rest and she hates it. Crow, her boyfriend/baby daddy tries to keep her occupied with books and CD’s but all Tess asks for is a pair of binoculars so she can spend her days gazing out the window.

Tess notices a young woman, dressed in a green raincoat, walking her dog to a nearby park daily and she learns to time her day around the woman. One morning, she sees the dog alone and seemingly abandoned with its leash still attached. Her inquisitiveness about the girl and why she is not with the dog is more than she can contain, so she enlists the help of friends Felicia and Whitney.

I won’t give the story away but I will say that the author she takes advantage of the situation by having Tess reflect upon her childhood and her connection with her parents. She also reveals a great backstory of Felicia and Whitney. Lippman kept the action energetic, and her minor characters become as likable as Tess herself.

4 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Green Raincoat.