Lois's Reviews > Reservation Road

Mar 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-2011
Read from March 03 to 07, 2011 , read count: 1

03 March 2011: I’ve seen the film, but haven’t yet read the book… I’m only a few pages in, but so far, it’s very good!

06 March 2011: I’m really enjoying it so far. I saw the film a while back and thought it was fantastic, so wanted to read the book that it was based on. John Burnham Schwartz is a fantastic writer - I love his style. He’s very good at creating atmosphere and painting a scene with little details you can really relate to.

07 March 2011: I finished reading Reservation Road this afternoon. It was a gripping novel - I was reluctant to put it down, eager to continue to read and find out what would happen, even though I had already seen the film and so had a good idea of how the book would end.

Nine times out of ten, I’ll prefer the book to the film. But this time, I think I prefer the film - the sequence of events, twists in the plot which aren’t in the book - I do, I prefer the story the way it’s told in the film. Of course, there are superfluous lines and scenes which appear in the film and not the book, which don’t add much to the story, but overall, there is one major plot-twist in the film that is what I love most about the film, and the book feels like it’s missing that. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, though - John Burnham Schwartz is a very talented writer indeed, and he paints exquisite atmospheres and pictures with his carefully crafted sentences and refined vocabulary. The book and the film each have their merits, and both are worth investigating if you haven’t yet encountered this particular story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reservation Road.

03/03/2011 page 33