Tdavis's Reviews > Interrupting Chicken

U_50x66
Mar 02, 11

bookshelves: narrative-skills, preschool
Recommended for: Preschool - 3rd Grade

Hahaha, Interrupting Chicken is such a fun read—got a lot of laughs out of this one during story hour and even in my after school program. I think the next time I’ll use it, is after reading the three fairy tales the chicken interrupts (Hansel and Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, and Chicken Little).

There have been concerns that children do not know fairy tales, so by reading the fairy tales first you have a foundation of the stories chicken interrupts. Then you can ask the children, “Is that really how the story goes?” This lets the children work on their narrative skills. Also, you can address the concerns the chicken has and why she might keep interrupting the stories. It’s beneficial for children to see a character who is an active participant in reading a book. For an activity you could have the children change a fairy tale story like the interrupting chicken and draw it out; thus, working on narrative skills, print awareness with drawing, and print motivation as they can take ownership of the story.

Early Literacy Skills:

Narrative Skills
Print Awareness
Print Motivation
Vocabulary
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interrupting Chicken.