K80h's Reviews > Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

U_50x66
Apr 17, 11

bookshelves: ya-lit, graphic-novels
Read from April 14 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy

As a reader, I wasn't as happy with this story as I thought I would be. Everyone kept telling me it was going to be so good. I think part of the problem may have been the fact that I expected it to be more like Maus. I didn't like the the way that the story was set up in episodes instead of using the typical plot line. I wanted more of Marjane's daily life, more about her life in Iran than just straight politics. I know that the politics are important and I should be interested, but the book seemed to have so much of an agenda that I was not allowed to make my own decisions. I did like the last page of the novel. That page left me wanting to read the sequel even though I didn't like most of the first book. So I think ultimately it is fair to say that there were moments that I liked the characters, but those moments were the ones when politics finally moved to the back burner and family and growing up came into play.

I cannot see myself teaching this books because of the language and some of the issues that were raised. I think that the genre would work well in the classroom because it helps students to learn to make inferences by giving them the text and the images. I can see some of the value in teaching a book like this because it shows a lot of the issues that arise with a corrupt government and the implications it can have on the society. I think one of the reasons I was not interested is because I didn't know much about the society before or after the take over. If I had known more about the issues, I may have liked the history a little more. Any teacher hoping to present this text at a high school level would have to give a great deal of background knowledge to facilitate understanding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persepolis.

Quotes K80h Liked

Marjane Satrapi
“In life you'll meet a lot of jerks. If they hurt you, tell yourself that it's because they're stupid. That will help keep you from reacting to their cruelty. Because there is nothing worse than bitterness and vengeance... Always keep your dignity and be true to yourself.”
Marjane Satrapi, Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

Marjane Satrapi
“One can forgive but one should never forget.”
Marjane Satrapi, Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

04/14/2011 "the first try at it didn't go so well, but liz and anna said it was good, so i guess I'll try it again"
04/15/2011