Keilani Ludlow's Reviews > Green Rider

Green Rider by Kristen Britain

U_50x66
Mar 02, 11

Read in February, 2011

This was an interesting book. It took me until about 3/4 of the way through to really get hooked, but even when I wasn't hooked there was something that kept me from just putting it down without ever finishing it. The second and third were quite good as well and I look forward to the fourth.

It's a little bit of a throwback to other stories. Evil magic has been locked away for centuries but now the wall that locks it away is beginning to crumble and the knowledge to repair the magic has long been forgotten. This theme isn't new. There's a whole world of people that have political intrigues and someone always trying to overthrow someone else and different classes that dislike each other. Of course there is another race, beautiful and mysterious (read elf-like) and nearly unknown and unseen. Again, nothing new. The riders are an interesting addition. They're messengers for the king but they also serve as quiet spies and they have magical talents that are unknown to the general populace. In this case, an impromptu rider, chosen in a moment of dire need, becomes the central character to help defeat the bad guys etc. At first, her several "just barely escaped" incidents seem more like the author not wanting to kill off the main character than plot development, however, as you get farther into the story and get a greater background into the riders and their history and abilities, the near misses fit.

Like I said, if you can get into it - keep reading until you do, then you'll really get into it and look forward to more. I think the author really honed her skills between the first and second book and now my only wish is that she'd write faster.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Rider.