Dolly's Reviews > A Tale Dark & Grimm

A Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam Gidwitz

1019021
Mar 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011, childrens, germany, short-stories, cooking-recipes, scifi-fantasy, middle-grade
Recommended for: parents reading with their children
Read from February 21 to March 26, 2011, read count: 1

It took us a long time to read this book. Since we hadn't finished by the time it was due back at the library, we had to return it before we finished as there were holds on it. So we put it on hold again ourselves and promised to finish it as soon as we could.

It was a great book, filled with fantastic and action-filled stories that were gruesome, but exciting. I have read some about children's ability to detach the written story from reality and be relatively unaffected by gore (more so than with movies and other visual media.) And I believe it. Our youngest got a bit alarmed in some parts, but mainly I think she got bored by the sheer length of the book. But our oldest was enraptured by this book and we read the last 112 pages all at once, with her urging me to read more at the end of every story. And neither has complained of nightmares, so that's good!

I love that Adam Gidwitz remained true to the tales, reworking them only to fit the context of the overall tale and not deeming it necessary to censor the blook and violence. I love that the stories are old, yet feel timeless. And best of all, I love the comic asides that breathe a little bit of levity into the tale, especially as things start to get grim (ha ha.) Overall, it was a terrific book and we really enjoyed reading the stories together.

February 2012 update: Our oldest really, really likes this book. She often mentions it as her favorite story. I love that this book has had such an impact on her, since we read this book almost a year ago, and her long-term memory for many of the books we've read together is not all that good. She even chose this book as her selection to read aloud to the class when she was "Super Kid" in her third-grade class the week of 30 Jan - 3 Feb 2012. I discussed the book with her teacher, who was a bit concerned at first, but was okay with the short bit that she read aloud.

interesting quote:
"...there is a wisdom in children, a kind of knowing, a kind of believing, that we, as adults, do not have. There is a time when a kingdom needs its children. These children." (p. 245)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale Dark & Grimm.

03/04/2011 page 83
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gundula (new) - added it

Gundula I never had a problem with my grandmother reading from an un-illustrated version of Grimm's fairy tales, but when I saw a cartoon version of Rumpelstiltskin, where the latter looked like an ugly brown demon, that kind of freaked me out a bit.