Ilea's Reviews > Anne's House of Dreams

Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery

Mar 02, 11

This book is my favorite of the series.

What I love most about the Anne books is that a young girl can basically grow up with Anne. In the first book, she is a young, lonely orphan with an incredible ability to sort of live within herself to a certain extent. The second book finds Anne continuing her education, dealing with the usual teenage girl things-new opportunities, developing relationships with her childhood friends. In the third book, Anne goes to college and finds herself falling in love with someone she never expected to! She gets engaged, and the fourth book chronicles her love letters to her fiance. In the fifth book, Anne is a newlywed moving to a new home, meeting new friends of "the race who knows Joseph" and starting a family (not without sadness). Book 6, Anne is a warm old matron with a ton of kids, wondering if her husband still loves her! (Which, of course he does!). Books 7 and 8 focus more on Anne's children and she becomes a background character. However, book 8 is really wonderful. Rilla (Anne's youngest) is coming of age and World War I starts. Anne's sons go off to war and Rilla helps hold down the home front, with many trials and tribulations of her own to deal with.

When I was in college, I loved Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island. When I got engaged, I loved Anne of Windy Poplars. Now that I am a newlywed, I love Anne's House of Dreams best. And I can't wait to have a daughter of my own to share Anne with!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne's House of Dreams.