Megan's Reviews > Retribution

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, vampire-romance
Read from August 20 to 21, 2011

Book 20 in the Dark-Hunter series

Sorry, I couldn’t finish reading this book. It was just too painful. I thought the plot was weak, no chemistry between Jess and Abigail (and I didn’t like Abigail at all), introduction of new Native American mythology which had not existed in the previous novels, too much angst from the big strong brutish Dark-Hunters, and too many cheesy lines!

And I’ve heard Ren is going to get his book next. Sorry, I had zero interest in him. I don’t think I’ll continue this series, even though lately I had been only reading them from the library.

Jess is a Dark-Hunter and on the prowl to find the chick killing Dark-Hunters … that would be Abigail. I just couldn’t like her. Because of one of the Dark-Hunters she killed she brought on the apocalypse.

The bonus scene at the end (view spoiler) was just okay for me. I didn’t love it as many people did. Don’t get me wrong, it was nice to see Ash again, but Artemis was not herself, and it just felt weird since there was no explanation for it. (Especially not after 19 books of her being a witch)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Retribution.

08/20/2011 page 100

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Debbie Will be reading this one soon.

Megan I hope you like it more than I did Debbie!

Debbie I'm sure I'll like it. I've never been disappointed in this series.

Megan That's good. It's just getting too much for me I think. To me it has lost that feeling of her earlier books.

Debbie I can understand that.

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ Love your review! I was disappointed for the same reasons.

Megan Thanks Sarah! I wish Ms. Kenyon would write like did at the beginning of the series.

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ Me too. It doesn't feel the same after Acheron. Sometimes I wonder if it's just me but obviously it isn't.

Megan Yes! After Acheron everything was just different.

╰☆╮ LovesToRead ╰☆╮ I am never disappointed in her depiction of her male characters, since she writes what we love...sexy bad boys, with an undertone of tenderness and caring. So, as always, I found the male characters to be enjoyable, and often funny. But just like most of the prior books, I find Kenyon has an issue writing a good female role. Case in point, Tory, who should have been tossed overboard and left for dead in Geary's book. The women are annoying, and most of the time, I could do without them. But at the end of the day, I love me a sexy cowboy.

Megan I'm glad you still enjoy the series Elena. I wish I still did!

Debbie I agree. Elena wrote: "I am never disappointed in her depiction of her male characters, since she writes what we love...sexy bad boys, with an undertone of tenderness and caring. So, as always, I found the male character..."

╰☆╮ LovesToRead ╰☆╮ My reason for my loyalty and passion for this series is very personal to me. They were given to me after my brain tumor diagnosis and brain surgery, and they helped me learn how to read again after I lost a bit of that ability. Without them, I fear I would not be back to where I was and, in my opinion, better. I do love to read the stories of the characters we came to love, but I just ignore most of the female characters, as they serve no other purpose for me than just to be happy that our tortured bad boy now is happy. Case in point, Acheron. I adore him and, to be honest, the Ash Kenyon painted for us would NEVER choose that annoying dingbat, Tory, for any reason. She was a useless character in Geary's book and I have to wonder what Kenyon was thinking when she resurrected that character. Although, my favorite part of Ash's book, other than the beginning which say a lot about how much I dislike Tory, was the part in the second part when Apollymi says to Tory that she was actually her second choice for Ash...lol...I think that pretty much says it all...but as bad as this sounds, I was sitting there reading with my fingers crossed that she did not make it through the birth of the baby, but, well, was left disappointed that I must endure her even further lol...thankfully, I have other books series I read, as well, that take my mind off of my aggravation with some of what Kenyon has done with her characters.