James Biskey's Reviews > The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World

The Art of Non-Conformity by Chris Guillebeau

M_50x66
Mar 02, 11

Read in February, 2011

Chris is a guy who lived a conventional life, then realized he wanted to live differently and made it happen. In this book, he questions many assumptions we unconsciously hold about education, credibility, and influence, and gives workable alternatives that have worked for him in his own life. The chapter that spoke to me the most was his suggestion for a low-cost alternative to graduate school that includes rigorous independent study, global travel, work experience, networking opportunities and blogging as a way to document it all to build credibility. Some might think his approach is too radical, but I support it and I've seen people use his methods to present themselves as experts in their field and enhance their career. As I've grown, I've realized a formal education does not always guarantee aptitude. To the contrary, I find myself most impressed by people who are driven, focused and resourceful enough to educate themselves and correctly apply it to their careers and lives. Chris' book has many useful ideas for someone who wants to do that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Non-Conformity.