Justin Kemppainen's Reviews > The Great Hunt

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

Mar 02, 11

Read in March, 2011

It took me considerably longer to get through this novel than the first. Part of it may be that Robert Jordan's style has started to wear on me just a little bit, but I think it more has to do with this novel not containing a whole lot of anything happening.

The Great Hunt starts off entertaining and fast-paced: bad stuff happens, and it's up to the good guys to resolve it. Then we have several hundred pages of walking. Some other bad stuff happens, and for the most part it's entertaining, but for a plot which can be summarized in one sentence, the several hundred pages it takes begins to feel quite long.

This is assisted by what is starting to become a tiresome repetition of phrases and concepts. Rand is always "woolheaded," the Ogier is always "thick-fingered," the mare Bela is always "shaggy." Rand spends 3/4ths of the book whining about how he won't be used by the Aes Sedai when embroiled in just that. He remains in a constant and unrealistic denial about his fate in spite of ungodly amounts of evidence. He's still a good character, but way too much time is taken to establish that he doesn't want to accept the reality of his situation.

Aside from that, there are some odd and lame twists which felt shoe-horned. I'm half-tempted to give this book two stars, but I honestly enjoyed it in spite of the flaws. Heck, I'm going to keep reading the series, so that at least merits an above average rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Hunt.