Emily May's Reviews > Lover Revealed

May 11, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: pnr, paranormal-uf
Recommended for: BDB fans

I'm more than a little embarassed to say that it took four whole 500+ page books of this series to get me to see them for what they really are. It was mr sweet, troubled loner (Zsadist) that screwed with my head and had me hoping this series would blow my mind in a similar way to the Fever series (I know how surprised you must be seeing as I rarely mention Mac Lane, Barrons or Karen Marie Moning ¬_¬ ).

I'll just explain what I mean by the Zsadist thingy. So I read Dark Lover and really liked it, the novel had all the necessary components of good urban fantasy and paranormal romance: strong heroine, hot supernatural guy (even if he was called Wrath and liked to wear biker leathers) and just generally dark paranormal mystery goodness. So, naturally, I then read Lover Eternal and got a whole lot of the same... in exactly the same way... with a guy (Rhage) who's character was nothing but a pretty, blond version of Wrath. But, hey, Ward is a good writer and the series is so popular that I was blinded into thinking that either a) Lover Eternal is an excusable one-off, or b) The problem was my own for not 'getting' the awesomeness. And, of course, Ward held my attention with some slight hints at Zsadist's past. Now, this is what I mean about Zsadist screwing with my mind... he is the one character of the Brotherhood who is completely different, unique and interesting. I gave Lover Awakened 5 stars because of him and I rarely give 5 stars. I stand by it too, because I still think he is J.R.Ward's greatest achievement of this series.

So... my point? Zsadist threw me off-guard and gave me false hope, twice as much false hope as the unbelievably high ratings gave me. Books 1 + 2 = written well but practically the same plot, hot male, mystery story, etc, etc. Book 3 = blew my mind. Then *sigh* book 4 = written well but practically the same plot, hot male, mystery story, etc, etc. as the first two. Damn you, Ward, for making me read so far and keeping my hopes up. Damn you for managing to convince me that your novels were more than just carbon copies of one another (with the obvious exception of Lover Awakened).

Why are all your characters and storylines just clones of one another? You are obviously a talented writer, surely you could come up with something better? And, even more troubling a question, why the hell does everyone rave so much about this series? Hasn't something like number 9 just been released, god I couldn't imagine reading another 5 versions of the same book. Is it just me? Is this another Lord of the Rings scenario where I feel like I'm reading something different from everyone else? It's not as if I didn't want to like it, I really honestly did, but I couldn't - They. Are. All. The. Same.

I'll tell you what else seems to be the same: the romance story. All this stupid denial and obsession-at-first-sight (god, do I hate that!), why the hell can't two people actually build up a romance/love/relationship like they do in other books instead of having to take one look at each other and know it's meant to be - sorry, I'm not buying it.

I know I'm part of a ridculously small minority that doesn't like this series and I'm not blind to the many reasons why others might like it: hot men, smut, vamps in general... and so on. But I'm not taking it any further, I've had enough of this tiresome jumping from brother to brother and playing matchmaker, that isn't what I come to get out of urban fantasy. I'll leave my ratings for the others as they are because I can't be bothered editing the reviews to explain but I'm definitely done here.
45 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Revealed.

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I think the problem here is that this series is not really UF, but rather PNR and, unfortunately, romance genre is built on following the same formula.

Emily May Tatiana wrote: "I think the problem here is that this series is not really UF, but rather PNR and, unfortunately, romance genre is built on following the same formula."

True, but the guys could at least have had different personalities. I'm not that picky when it comes to UF or PNR but even I don't want to keep reading the same thing over and over :<

message 3: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I've only tried reading Dark Lover, so I am guessing there are no upbeat personalities among the bros?

Emily May Tatiana wrote: "I've only tried reading Dark Lover, so I am guessing there are no upbeat personalities among the bros?"

You are guessing right, none of them know how to crack a smile.

message 5: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana A very long and boring eternity is ahead of those vamp ladies then:)

{cindy} Just finished reading Lover Revealed today too and I know what you mean. They are really similar. It was fun though and I will be reading the rest, since they are already in my bookcase.
I'll definitely check out the Fever-series you mentioned. Thanks for the tip!

Emily May Whereas the sane people like me would prefer an eternity with a man who turns into a reptilian monster, has a seriously bad temper and throws cakes at the ceiling :)

Katie(babs) Tatiana wrote: "I've only tried reading Dark Lover, so I am guessing there are no upbeat personalities among the bros?"

Lover Eternal is the most upbeat of the books. Rhage doesn't suffer as much, although he does turn into a dragon. But that leads to hot almost dragon sex between him and his mate.

Emily May {cindy} wrote: "Just finished reading Lover Revealed today too and I know what you mean. They are really similar. It was fun though and I will be reading the rest, since they are already in my bookcase.
I'll defin..."

Hope you enjoy the rest of the series, many people do. And yeah, I have honestly never gone on and on about a series as much as the Fever books, and I am refusing to stop until all my female friends and family have read it :)

{cindy} Looks interesting and the reviews are really good! I'll definitely give it a try soon! Just added it to my wishlist on bookdepository :)

message 11: by Catty-cat (new)

Catty-cat I only like lover eternal ( rhage was fun) and zsadist story reminded me to much of zarek (s. Kenyon).
I am with you on ward

Emily May Catty-cat wrote: "I only like lover eternal ( rhage was fun) and zsadist story reminded me to much of zarek (s. Kenyon).
I am with you on ward"

Zsadist's was the only story I really liked so it's probably a good job I haven't read about Zarek :)

Kayla Goodness, I just gave a 2 star review myself and you said it so much better than me. They are all the same!!! Except for Z, who got me too! My favorite book so far, and even though Bella came off needed and obsession at first site...for some reason it didn't bother me like the others. Probably because she wasn't a pathetic mess.

Cell1e Not keen on this book either but unlike you I didnt mind the 'similarities' of the first two books as the story was building and leading somewhere, but got quite down with zsadists story and Butches so far is very very boring, this to and froing 'we are together, we are apart' Man I hate that type of shit. Its rollarcoaster love and I dont like that. I'll finish this and think if I can stomach any more like Butches story.

Maria Zhadist FTW :)

message 16: by E.C. (new) - rated it 3 stars

E.C. Adams Did you read ACHERON by Sherrilyn Kenyon. You'll LOVE it if, like me, you totally fixated on Zsadist for some time after reading his book.

Chechoui The Fever series is great and with a real plot!

Chanelle I know most replies basically have the same content, but I know that Z had the best story and that Bella is the best heroine in this world. And it makes no sense since the BDB world has potential. Great review!

Emily May Thanks, Chanelle :)

Celia Yes, this really is a great honest review! (I basically only finish reading "longer" reviews, if I am on their wavelength.) Z enticed probably most readers, but I felt the form the book was written in still had that annoying blah from the other books. It's a long time since reading the 1st, but I remember it being a very enthralling story, but then the rest just tried to copy that feeling - and most didn't manage to!
(SPOILER) later there comes another interesting character named John, but his story was built up over several other books. In the end I just couldn't read these books anymore. There also enters an evil character - because obviously nothing else was happening - and the whole series now depresses me!

Alisonclaire I wish I could like this review a million more times! I agree with absolutely everything you wrote. I am going to keep reading because these books are like crack (and I am really looking forward to V's book which is next) but they really cannot replace Mac and Barrons for me. But Z really was awesome -- so I know ms Ward has it in her!!

Marlene I noticed that they are basically a clone of one another as soon as I read Rhage's book and realized that he was not in love with sex, but he had to do have it. Of course, it did not deter me because I have fun reading about them. They are all tortured, but they have different things torturing them as do everyone in MOST of the books I have read. What I can say is not many men could match up to Jericho Barrons. He has to be one of the most perfect guys that I have read about.

message 23: by Evangelina (new)

Evangelina You are so right. I started this series with Zsadist, got tricked into reading Rhage's and Fury's books. Later I read the villains' stories, I.e.- Revenge book7 & Xhex book 8. Lover Mine (8) was the best, better than Zsadist. Yes, it is true. Apparently, the rest of the series goes back to being disappointing.