A.L. Sowards's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Book of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

2048362
Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: history, history-wwii, favorites, read-in-2012

An amazing story, and Hillenbrand does a wonderful job telling it. To sum it up, it’s about a borderline delinquent teenager being saved when his brother gets him involved in running. He has great success in track, then WWII comes along and instead of heading to the 1940 Olympics, he’s off to the US air corp. He crashes in the Pacific, almost dies while drifting in the ocean, then is captured by the Japanese and goes through horrible experiences as a POW. Coming back after the war he eventually turns to alcohol to drown out his nightmares and needs saving again. This time he’s saved by turning to Christ. I recommend this book for just about anyone.

A few other random thoughts sparked by this book:

1) I guess in some parts of the world, shark fin soup is really popular. It drives animal-rights activists crazy because everything but the fin of the shark is wasted and it’s bad for shark populations. After reading this book, you’ll probably have as much success convincing me to save sharks as you would trying to get me to save rats infested with the bubonic plague. (Not really—I like the sharks at the local aquarium, I just never want to met any in the wild, ever.)

2) I’ve long held the opinion that the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki actually saved lives (American and Japanese) by bringing the war to an end before the planned invasion of Japan. This book didn’t alter that opinion at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.