Ken Deshaies's Reviews > The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra

Mar 02, 11

Read in December, 2010

This is a very interesting treatise on how physics is just catching up with Eastern religions. The more scientists discover about the working of the universe, from the tiniest particles to the most universal truths, the more Eastern mysticism and preachings are substantiated as true. Yet Taoism, Hinduism, Buddhism have been preaching these truths for thousands of years. I was totally fascinated and engrossed. The first few chapters each give a brief overview of the different Eastern religions (philosophies). It helped me understand the differences, when in the past, I tended to lump them all together. The latter part of the book delves into scientific tests, discoveries and the meaning of various things like particle theory. The author wisely warns that the reader will be reading a lot of technical material, and suggests that, unless you are a student of physics or genuinely interested in the details, to simply read as a sort of meditation. He offers that if you take this approach, you will understand a lot more than you would anticipate. I found this to be true, and the reading was enlightening and enjoyable.

It's also interesting to know that this book was published in the mid-70s, and so much more has been discovered since then.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tao of Physics.

Cynthia I remember reading and enjoying the concepts this book offered about five years ago but now I think I will have to read it again

message 2: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken Deshaies I so love expanding the mind. Thanks for the comment, Cynthia.