Krista's Reviews > Aurorarama

Aurorarama by Jean-Christophe Valtat

Jan 22, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from January 17 to 22, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Although I wanted to read this book for over a year and never seemed to get my hands on a copy, I was vindicated when I read it while 2 feet of snow piled outside my apartment. Walking around, I almost felt I was in New Venice.

I have not read other translated books by Valtat, but I am interested, and will likely do so now. It was a perspicacious fantasy book, filled with philosophical undertones and looks into different types of government. As political scandals seem to multiply exponentially in 2011, Valtat brings up the fact that every government needs political opposition, and they sometimes infiltrate organizations to create it themselves.

However, he is also a very playful writer. The use of hypnotists, a Phantom Patrol Vaudeville act, ghosts and words like "snocaine," lightened the prose. There are some unlikely coincidences, which he says in the beginning, are not to be seen as unlikely, but rather planned by collective memories or phantoms. I think almost any fantasy reader would enjoy this book, because it is rich in character and detail. The author seems to take even more joy in explaining New Venice as a character, even more so than the human characters.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aurorarama.

01/19/2012 page 200