Julie's Reviews > In This Hospitable Land

In This Hospitable Land by Lynmar Brock Jr.

Mar 30, 11

bookshelves: own, vine, fiction
Read from March 17 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy

I was debating whether to give this book three or four stars, but I really think it deserves praise for its subject. This is a captivating aspect of WWII, featuring Belgian refugees exiled to Nazi occupied France, the hospitality they encounter in the remote mountain villages of the southern country, and their role in the Resistance. I was previously unaware of the political upheaval in France during Germany’s control, the complacency of the Vichy government, and the role of simple peasants in harboring fugitives and supporting the defiant rebels.

I wanted to give this book more praise because of the rich historical detail, the realistic and sympathetic characters, and the great atmosphere. However, the writing was pedestrian, the dialogue bordered on absurd, and there were so many mundane details that could have been omitted to make the book shorter and more fast-paced. Although, another reason I opted for four stars is because Amazon Encore plays a pivotal role in giving authors good exposure, which I think this book deserves. Sure, it had its flaws, but it was decent historical fiction (though based on true events) and its positives outweighed the negatives.

I received a complimentary copy of this book via the Amazon Vine program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In This Hospitable Land.

03/18/2011 page 109