Tracy's Reviews > Summer

Summer by Edith Wharton

Mar 03, 11

liked it
Read from March 02 to 03, 2011

3.5 stars. I agree with my mom, it is a compelling story of summer love.

The book club is reading Edith Wharton this month, and I happened to pick up a collection of novellas and short stories instead of getting just Ethan Frome. Yay for unexpected books from the library!

Why the 3.5 stars for a book I liked? It's an old story, so I think it didn't move me as much as a modern tale of the same situation might have. I liked it all the way through, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in Edith Wharton.

A very different feel from Ethan Frome, not as creepy, more innocent, but still gave the same feeling of being trapped. Charity's frame of mind is quite the same as our teens-agers, that their parents (or guardians) know absolutely NOTHING, and have no right to tell them anything. That changes for all of us, and sometimes it is a drastic situation that brings it about. Maybe the parents DON'T hate us, and maybe they DO know something.

I find myself wondering frequently in both these Edith Wharton stories what modern characters would do in the same situations. Nowadays we just would NOT do what her characters do. Of course, that doesn't ruin it for the reader, just opens up a window to how life was for people 150 years ago. These books make me think of my Grandma and her life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamra (new)

Tamra I loved Summer. Such a compelling tale of summer love.