Bluerose's Heart's Reviews > Fifo 50 States

Fifo 50 States by Hayley Rose

Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: children-3-8, favorites, non-fiction, young-reader-8-12, future-homeschooling
Read in April, 2011

As a mom who hopes to homeschool, I'm thrilled to have Fifo "50 States" on our bookshelf!! There is just so much information in it, and there's really something for all ages. I know it is mostly intended for ages 4-8, but I doubt most of us know all of the facts about each state. There's a great deal that I don't know, so it's a great lesson for me, too.

Each state has its own two pages. On the left side is a poem that teaches the state's number, capital, flower, tree, bird, and the state's motto is at the bottom. The poem for each one is basicly the same, except certain words are replaced for each state. You may or may not like this, but I loved that about it. I'm not a teacher, but it seems like it will make it easier to learn.
On the right page is a picture with all kinds of different highlights from that state, including the flag and a picture of the state. Of course, since each state has different things that make it stand out, all the pictures are very unique. I think it would be fun to let your child go on a "treasure hunt" in each picture and find all the different highlights of the state. For example, Pennsylvania has a groundhog and hersheys kisses in its picture, along with lots of other items! This isn't a book you would want to just read straight through.

The only somewhat complaint I have is that it is paperback. I would have prefered hardcover for this type of book, but I think it provides such a fun learning experience that I'd overlook the paperback part. :)

I just adored this book, and again, I'm so glad it is on our shelves. We will definitely make use of Fifo "50 States" when we start to study geography, whether we homeschool or not!

*I was provided a review copy of this book through the Pump Up Your Book tour in exchange for my honest opinion
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifo 50 States.