Marsha's Reviews > They Called Themselves the K.K.K.: The Birth of an American Terrorist Group

They Called Themselves the K.K.K. by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

Mar 02, 2011

bookshelves: juvenile
Read in February, 2011

This was fascinating but so hard to read. Bartoletti very calmly and fairly explains the social issues, politics, and background that allowed the KKK to come into being and grow into a huge, horrible, out of control, vicious, (I really can't think of an awful enough adjective to insert here) terrorist group. It was hard to read because these men (and women) never came to justice, never felt bad--indeed felt completely justified in terrorizing, beating, and killing any black person simply because of their race, and any white person who didn't agree with their bigotry. The Klan was entrenched into every level of society and supported by law enforcement, the courts, and the government. Even President Johnson, who came into office after Pres. Lincoln was assassinated, was instrumental in supporting the atrocities committed. Holy cow! I am still angry as I type this! The way I was able to get through this book was thinking of the huge wake-up call each one of these ignorant bigots had when they died and of their suffering when they realized what they had done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Called Themselves the K.K.K..