Anna's Reviews > Touch of Frost

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: favourite, fantasy, read-2011, ya, 6-stars, favorite-series, mythology
Read from June 08 to 09, 2011

Review originally posted at http://bookstobrightenyourmood.blogsp...

Touch of Frost is the first book in an exciting new YA series by Jennifer Estep that,believe me,you'll get overly excited about it!

Jennifer Estep is well known with her urban fantasy Elemental Assassins series and to whomever has read her books it's known that she's a brilliant writer!Her writing style is focused,straight to the point with a quick pace that makes sure that the reader isn't bored even for a single moment while reading her book.
The universe she created for her story is unique and well structured and unlike anything I've read until now.We all have noticed a recent increase in books based on (mainly Greek) mythology but Touch of Frost manages to stand out.She blends many myths,from around the world to create her universe,not just a single mythological structure and the outcome is mindblowing!Why restrict ourselves in a single myth when we can get all of those and in a perfect package?Estep blends mostly Greek and Norse myths plus some more and in her world Amazons,Spartans,Vikings,Romans,Gypsies,Valkyries, everyone coexists and blends perfectly!Talking about unique world building!

Her characters are well developed,both the main and the secondary ones and with the promise that we'll learn more about everyone in the books to come.The motives that drive the actions of her characters are believable,making it all that easier to relate to them.
Gwen is a sweet girl,full of insecurities,that don't hold her back no matter what.Her sense of rightness is what drives her actions,and she won't go back no matter what.I loved her innate curiosity and wittiness and her sense of humor!

Everything in this story flows perfectly.The certain Harry Potter feeling in this book made me love it even more,what with being in a school full of magic (though definitely of a different kind than in Harry Potter) and strange creatures,and the hero tries to find the solution to strange events.I loved it!As soon as I started reading I couldn't put it down,although after a certain point I tried to refrain myself from reading it in one sitting,cause I was certain that as soon as I finished it I would only be eager for the next one.And that's exactly what happened!But thankfully the next book won't be too long until it gets published,so that counts for something right?

Before I finish this review,I want to express my gratitude to Jennifer Estep for her immediate reply and for letting me read and review her book prior to it's publication date!I was drooling over this book for quite sometime now and one can only imagine my happiness when I could read it sooner!Thank you so much Jennifer.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Frost.

06/09/2011
62.0% "I'm really loving it!"
06/09/2011
88.0% "I really need to slow down cause I'm almost certain that as soon as I'll finish it I'll only want the next one in my hands..."