Slavena's Reviews > Rangoon

Rangoon by Christine Monson

Lysistrata travels with her father who is a doctor to take position at the Queen’s Rangoon hospital. She is very intelligent but rather plain looking girl. She tries to help her dad at the hospital but is refused by the head doctor saying that it is no place for women. She befriends a lady that decides to transform her by dressing her up in new clothes and presenting her to the English Rangoon society. On the first social event she attends she stumbles on Ram while he is having tête-à-tête with one of the married ladies. Lysistrata is extremely sensual creature, although it starts off as her being rather plain, I did enjoy her company a lot and I was happy for her HEA.

Ram is very mysterious character. He is the child of a princess and an English captain and has a foot in both worlds. Of course he is every woman’s dream, except our heroine, at least at the beginning

The dialogue is the best ever imho, I though Lysistrata to be one of the most interesting female characters. The book was very strong at the beginning, it would have been my favorite if it continued in the same style as it started but I had a problem with two things - the hero’s feelings and the lack of expressing them to our heroine and the story was a bit confusing. The hero holds heroine responsible for what happened to him even though it was almost impossible that she can set him up for anything like that. Also it is a good description of Rangoon for those interested in the daily lives during that period.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rangoon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I have GOT to get my butt around and read another Monson book sometime.

Slavena one of my favorite female characters and dialogue was best ever