Marthe's Reviews > The Gammage Cup

The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall

Apr 16, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from March 17 to 20, 2011

In the Land Between the Mountains, you can find the village Slipper-on-the-Water. It’s a peaceful place where the Minnipins live, unaware of the fears lurking around. Muggles however, wakes up in the middle of the night and sees fire in the hill. At the same time, she captures a glance of Walter the Earl and Gummy. This makes her think and before she knows, she’s together with Them; Curley Green, Gummy and Walter the Earl. They find armor under Walter the Earl’s house, just in time for the arrival of the Major. Among the twelve villages, there will be a contest and the price is The Gammage Cup itself. Everything in the village must be perfect, but Muggles and Them as well as Mingy are not as helpful as they other wish and by talking of war, it only becomes worse. They have to start a new life, but danger is lurking in the mines. They take the task of defending their own village, even though they were seen as outlawed.

I admit I love this book. It’s clean and has good morals, at the same time as it’s enjoyable. Several of the characters are characters you want to follow and the way they work together is absolutely splendid.

The morals are wonderful and they’re showing you that maybe thinking about yourself isn’t the best the whole time. I also believe it can teach many how to handle a situation they don’t know how will turn out; be true to yourself and don’t let the others down. It’s the classic good against evil, and it this book, it works.

The writing style is rather easy to understand, but the sentences are not too short or too long. Conversation and descriptions are well balanced and just to make it even more enjoyable; there are times you just burst out laughing.

This is a book I would love to read again, and to be a book for younger children, I am glad to announce that I then am a young child.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gammage Cup.

03/17/2011 page 30