Sarah's Reviews > All Clear

All Clear by Connie Willis

Mar 06, 11

bookshelves: scifi
Read in March, 2011

Time-traveling historians fight their way home. This book was ridiculous. I feel bad writing that, because 1. so many people liked it so much, and I'm sad to think I didn't understand how to appreciate it, and 2. it's a celebrated author's book about a WAR. But the only way I remotely got through it was by treating it as a comic novel and mentally tallying up all the ridiculousness, including but not limited to: 1. every time a character's mission was completely stymied by one single, non-malicious individual, and 1a. every time that individual was a child, 2. every time a character whose career and passion involved time travel displayed total ignorance about rudimentary elements of time travel, 3. every time a character repeated (verbatim) trivial information, internally and externally, more than a dozen times in a chapter, and 4. every time anything interesting as a point of tension was written off as a-ok, because if it wasn't a-ok, well then, it never would have happened! By and large, whenever it wasn't boring, it was annoying.
33 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Clear.