Phillip's Reviews > Comet in Moominland

Comet in Moominland by Tove Jansson

Mar 01, 2011

liked it
Read in February, 2011

After getting the sense from reading book number 7 in this series that it was something of a departure from the preceding six books, I felt I should start at the beginning to get a more rounded feel for these books. What I did not expect to find was an apocalyptic tale of how a set of whimsical characters deal with the end of the world. Although these whimsical creatures approach their dire circumstances with a charming naivete, they stand tall in presenting the truth that tribulation does not build character so much as it reveals character.

I do find, having spent some time in Sweden some time ago, that there is a cultural rift between at least but not solely myself as an American reader, and the readers of a Scandinavian upbringing. There are certain assumptions that we as American readers miss. Still, Tove Jansson's voice is unique among those others who write for children, by virtue of her blend of subtle satire and raw wit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comet in Moominland.