La Petite Américaine's Reviews > Fingersmith

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Mar 29, 11

bookshelves: meh-whatever
Read from March 01 to 20, 2011

While Sarah Waters' debut novel Tipping the Velvet is a perfect marriage of beautiful writing and a thrilling plot, the driving force behind Fingersmith is the plot alone. The magic of Waters' language is absent in this novel.

That said, the story is pretty good, although somewhat predictable, far-fetched, and at times laughable. Think of it as a pure mix of The Prince and the Pauper, Rebecca, and Scooby Doo, minus the "I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids." Have patience with the many cliches that somehow slipped in, including "straight as a blade," and "white as milk."

Enjoy the story, because frankly, it's all you've got.

Meh. Whatever.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fingersmith.

Veronica aw, sorry you didn't enjoy it so much! I loved it, and both the language and the plot reminded me so much of Wilkie Collins -- surely the intention. You make me want to read Tipping the Velvet though :)

La Petite Américaine Oh no, I did enjoy it! Just not as much as Tipping the Velvet

La Petite Américaine Major bummer, actually :(

message 4: by El (new) - rated it 3 stars

El I felt the same way. Affinity also disappointed me.

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee I think Tipping the Velvet is a hard book to follow. It's always disappointing when an author peaks with their debut.