Fani's Reviews > The Perfect Scandal

The Perfect Scandal by Delilah Marvelle

Countess Zosia of Poland needs to marry soon. Though the King of England, who happens to be her guardian, is determined to marry her with an insignificant aristrocrat and keep her away from the political scene, she has different plans. She wants to marry someone who's active in the House of Lords, someone who is willing to fight for her cause to help Poland against the Russian oppresion.

Enter Lord Moreland, her neighboor and also a Marquis who's a tactic member in the House of Lords. Lord Moreland is respectable, intelligent and not bad to look at; Hence, the perfect candidate for Zosia's plans. When Zosia captures his attention one night, it's obvious they would fit well together. Their dialogues are witty, their scenes are funny and they seem to understand one another. But both Zosia and Tristan have skeletons in their closets. Tristan is a cutter; he actually finds relief and pleasure in cutting himself with a blade. He also has submissive tendencies in sex and is quite fond of whips. These characteristics make him feel ashamed and unworthy of a decent woman. Zosia on the other hand, a great beauty and most soughted after bride once, has lost her leg in an accident and she hardly believes any man will find her attractive as she is now.

What starts as a plan to help her country, soon becomes an affair of the heart. Though Moreland is attracted to her from the start, it's Zosia who comes to realize that Moreland could be so much more than a husband; he could be the love of her life.

What I liked:
1. The fact that Zosia never lied to Moreland about the reasons she wanted to marry him and her plans.
2. Moreland. The man was dedicated, selfless, devoted, passionate, sweet and tortured by his feelings of shame and unworthiness.
3. The angst and intensity that cracked my heart at some points, mixed well with humorous scenes like Zosia's suitors making a line in the square.
4. The writing, though it had something different from usual historical romances, had a freshness and quality I enjoyed.
5. The fact that Zosia was a practical woman and acted as such. She did not fall or pretend to fall, in love with Moreland at first sight. She became attracted to him more and more, the better she got to know him, which I find quite refreshing and realistic.

What I didn't like:
1. It took me quite a long time to get into Zosia's head and heart. Since most of the story was told from Moreland's POV, it was after 1/3 of the book that I could finally say I knew what kind of woman Zosia was.
2. Moreland's submissive tendencies and whips turning to ashes. A subject raised in the first chapters and promptly forgotten later. It's a bad attitude to raise expectations you're not intending to answer.
3. The anticlimatic ending, due to too much politics taking the front seat. I realy, really disliked that, especially after some of the most angsty and emotional scenes I've recently read. Taking the focus out of the leading couple in the final chapters, was the worst mistake of this book in my opinion.

All in all, I enjoyed this book a lot and would be willing to read another by the same author, providing no politics were involved this time. Though there were parts where I grew slightly bored, the parts that were told well, were extremely good and made up for any displeasure I had in between. Had the ending been different, this could even be a 4.5 book for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Scandal.

03/20/2011 page 126
33.0% ""With every noble cause came noble sacrifices, and compared to all the other strange, British men she's met thus far, this one who sliced himself was without any doubt the most appealing. Which she supposed disn't say much for British men." Love the dialogues between those two, but I don't feel I know them yet." 2 comments
03/20/2011 page 188
50.0% "Oh oh... I'm not sure I agree with Tristan's decision. Plus, the two have more troubles in their plate, than Romeo and Juliet. How is it going to end happily ever after?" 10 comments
03/20/2011 page 252
66.0% "I'm very confused with this book. There are scenes I want to throttle one of the heroes and others I feel my heart cracking... What is wrong with me?" 4 comments
03/20/2011 page 298
79.0% "I couldn't put it down when I reached a certain point. Well, Zosia more than redeemed herself at last and Tristan is to die for:)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Great review Fani!

message 2: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Great Review Fani! can the books be read stand alone or to be read in order?

Fani Thanks girls!
I haven't read any other book of hers and had no problem whatsoever understanding the plot, so I guess they're stand alones. I didn't even see any other couple, so I guess there was no connection with other books I could see

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Nice review, Fani! Wow, I don't think I've ever read a romance where the heroine has lost a body part. It's usually the guys who've lost an arm or part of an arm in war or something. Or scarring...that's common.

Fani I know, it was a little strange in the beginning for me too. I'm still not sure how I felt about it, but in the end it didn't bother me too much. However, I do think I'd have felt better without that detail myself.

Fickle aren't we? Not minding the hero's physical scarring but where the heroine is concerned? Another matter entirely:)

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine That is weird. I wonder why that is.

Fani We have to find a psychologist between our GR friends. He/she would have some interesting things to say:)

message 8: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Stepping in their shoes. We the readers tend to step into the heroine's shoes, and feeling that we lost a body part is something we can't really relate on a physical level unless sadly we've lost a limp.

message 9: by Fani (last edited Mar 26, 2011 12:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fani Perhaps you're right Rane. I do like to imagine what I'd do if I were in the heroine's place and the hero did or said this or that... I definitely would NOT like to imagine how it would be if I were missing a limp:(

message 10: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Fani wrote: "Perhaps you're right Rane. I do like to imagine what I'd do if I were in the heroine's place and the hero did or said this or that... I definitely would NOT like to imagine how it would be if I wer..."

I ask posed this question to my mom who also a romance reader and she told me it could also be stereotypes. Example: Bodice Rippers- if a reader grew up with said books, we really don't have trouble with it, but in today's new romances it's "rape"
We readers are use to the hero going off to war, getting hurt as in life men until very recently were the only ones on the front lines. So we get use to the author having the hero hurt with the woman healing/nursing him and his emotions and physical wounds. Only now are we seeing more of the less then perfect heroine (not the plain or the wallflowers) but hits us in a more personal/ emotional level
My mom is asking when I'll get a copy of this book so she can read it! :D

message 11: by Fani (new) - rated it 4 stars