~Megan~'s Reviews > Rainshadow Road

Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: favorite-authors, best-heroes-ever, contemporary-romance, small-town-lovin, magical-realism
Read on February 29, 2012

What a beautiful book! Really, that's the only word I can think of to describe it. I'm an avid Kleypas fan, and have adored many of her books, but I think this one just might be her best written work to date. It is carefully crafted, with so many true and tender moments, it makes the heart melt.

We meet our heroine at a young age, and discover her magic right along with her. The magic isn't just in the fact that she can make glass come to life, but in the fact that she's sweet and loving and so worthy of the love that has been denied her for the majority of her life. It is rare for me to really fall in love with a heroine as much as the hero in a novel, but I just adored Lucy. She reacted to the things that happened to her in much the same way I might, not with dramatic outbursts, but with a down-to-earth and palpable sorrow, and quiet dignity.

Our hero Sam, the Doctor Who-lovin', geeky hottie with a commitment phobia, made me fall both in love and lust. He is just my kind of guy, nerdy but still all-man. I loved most of all his interactions with his niece, Holly. These provided a contradiction for the reader to his adamant aversion to commitment, that even while he was spouting off about never falling in love, he'd already committed himself to a little girl wholeheartedly.

I loved the slow slide these two took toward love, and their "I don't love you"'s that so obviously meant the opposite. I loved that Sam was completely oblivious to the fact that he was in love until very shortly toward the end. I loved the super romantic climax in the airport, and I loved that Sam didn't expect Lucy to give up on a dream of hers so that they could be together. The epilogue was all kinds of ooey gooey goodness!

I am excited by this series, and the direction in which Ms. Kleypas is going here. I absolutely can't wait for Alex's story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainshadow Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crista Wonderful review Megan! I adored this one, but I think Alex's story is going to blow me away (I hope!).

Lisa Kay It is a wonderful review, Megan! I'm going to use (and credit you) with ‘palpable sorrow’ for a “buddy read” DQ, okay?

~Megan~ Thanks both of you! And that's fine by me, Lisa Kay!

Lisa Kay Thanks! Wink Pictures, Images and Photos

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Loved your review, Megan! You captured everything I felt about this book so beautifully!