Jessica's Reviews > Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World

Robbing the Bees by Holley Bishop

Mar 01, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in May, 2006

This is the book that inspired me to become a beekeeper. The writing is clear, concise and always interesting. Much like Mary Roach, Bishop's style delivers facts via humor and obscure information that keeps your attention throughout. A must read for natural history buffs as well as anyone interested in honey and/or honeybees.

My Amazon review: I don't think I can add much to all of the valid points the other reviewers have touched on (although I take issue with the scientific criticisms of one reviewer - I think she didn't read those passages closely enough) however I can't resist saying how enjoyable and eminently readable Holley Bishop's book is.

Her writing style is engaging and memorable. It has been a long time since I have had such a wonderful combination of history, science, anthropology, and memoir ("Stiff" by Mary Roach probably being the last one).

Bishop provides so much fabulous information I have no doubt she is creating a new generation of wanna-beekeepers that just might help save our swiftly deteriorating honeybee populations.

I am recommending this book all over the place and everyone is loving it. A great read from teen on up.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robbing the Bees.