Alana 's Reviews > I Never Promised You a Rose Garden

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden by Hannah  Green

Mar 01, 2011

bookshelves: realistic
Read from March 01 to 09, 2011

This book was...so unlike anything I have ever read.
It was about a mental patient, and how she struggles to be "normal" again. She gets worse, and her parents start to get worried, but she's getting through the peak of her sickness. Then she's transfered back to B ward, and soon released. Deborah explains that she doesn't see "average" people as average. She sees them as lucky. Soon she starts to open her eyes to the world around her and she talks through her "problems" with Dr. Fried aka Furii.
Deborah should be an example of hope for everyone. It shows that no matter how deep you are in a problem, with enough time and faith you can get better. I would recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with a disease, because reading this book, they'll remember to have faith again.
The other lesson I learned, is that when it comes down to it, we're all imperfect people with our own prejudices and problems regardless of race, religion, or ethnicity. We're all people of earth, and deserve our own equal chance to live without scrutiny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Never Promised You a Rose Garden.

03/04/2011 page 111