James's Reviews > Replay

Mar 01, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read on March 01, 2011

First Impressions:

In some ways Replay reminds me of the Groundhog Day film, where Bill Murray's character relived the same day over and over again. In the book, Jeff relives the last 25 years of his life at a random starting point as a junior in college up to when he gets a heart attack in 1988.

It's an interesting premise and one where we could fantasize what we would do ourselves. Jeff tries to stop the Kennedy assassination and fails, although he gets Lee Harvey Oswald arrested. Kennedy dies anyway. Why? Jeff figures that some large events cannot be changed. I don't agree with that. If a small change can occur then certainly a large one can.

Jeff's theory is further bunked by the middle of the novel where he and another "replayer," Pamela, make startling predictions that all come true up to a point. The US Government under Nixon start listening and soon Carter does not get elected and Reagan is bombing the Middle East! Oops!. Now tell me that's not big.

Jeff at first gets selfish and becomes a multimillionaire. In another replay, he gets married and has a daughter, Gretchen, whom he misses greatly in his next replay. In another, he tries to see if there are other "replayers" out there with dubious results.

As in Bill Murray's adventure in Groundhog Day, Jeff comes to an epiphany of sorts in regards his previous lives and the future that he eventually sees for himself. [Spoiler] The live-die-live-die every minute at the end was quite freaky! [End Spoiler].

Bottom Line:

The book is easy enough to read and you can get through it in a day. The mild sexual descriptions may raise the age to 18 on some scenes. What would you do? Could you relive the last 25 years knowing what you know now? Great story.

Other Books by This Author:

Breakthrough
Into the Deep

Related Material:

Biography - Grimwood, Ken(neth) (1945-2003): An article from: Contemporary Authors

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Replay.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jade (new) - added it

Jade It sounds interesting, I'll definitely look into it. Thanks =].

message 2: by Geri (new) - added it

Geri  Newman sound like a good book - thanks Jim for recommeneding it.

James Jade wrote: "It sounds interesting, I'll definitely look into it. Thanks =]."

Thanks.

James Geri wrote: "sound like a good book - thanks Jim for recommeneding it."

You bet.