Amy's Reviews > Strange Brew

Strange Brew by P.N. Elrod

Mar 15, 11

Read from February 27 to March 01, 2011

I was handed this book by a librarian when I asked her for a recommendation. I said I preferred stories with female protagonists and also liked science fiction and fantasy. It is not what I expected! I don't really know what I expected... but it wasn't werewolves and vampires. I've avoided Twilight like the plague, but perhaps I looked like I was in that demographic?

It's a collection of nine short stories (or longer short stories). Many of the authors, the librarian told me, have whole novels and usually series, so this is a good way to find out if I like any of their writing without committing to a whole book. Not a bad plan, really.

The first story is good, even if it is a bit explicit in a roundabout way. (Not really expecting that either!) I enjoyed the characters very much, I thought they were compelling and I would like to read more about them, except I don't think they're main characters in any of the author's other books. (And I liked the witch better than the werewolf, anyway, and it seems her other books are mostly about werewolves.)

Most of the other stories I also enjoyed. I forget which one or two I didn't care for, but it's okay. I'm not running out to get any full novels by any of these authors, but I may someday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Brew.