Tara's Reviews > There's Cake in My Future

819580
Mar 09, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from February 28 to March 09, 2011 — I own a copy

I really enjoyed this book. Nicole, Melissa and Seema have been friends forever. At Nicole's bridal shower, she arranges a cake pull, where guests pull charms out of their slice of cake and the charm is meant to tell their fortune. Nicole tries to rig the cake so that her friends get the charms they want, but something goes wrong and every pulls a different fortune. When the fortunes start coming true, Nic, Mel and Seema get worried that now their unwanted fortunes will come true!

I think my favorite thing about this book is that it doesn't drag. The cake pull happens in the first 30 pages or so and then it's all movement from there. I never found myself wishing that we could pick up the pace. Maybe a little bit with Seema, but I think that was the author's intent (without giving too much away). The characters are generally likable and their struggles seem completely realistic. The message that you can't always plan your future and not all unexpected events are bad is definitely one that I can take to heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There's Cake in My Future.