James Mcgann's Reviews > Eating the Dinosaur

M 50x66
Mar 01, 2011

it was ok
Read in February, 2011

I picked up this book because I've heard Klosterman on Bill Simmons' (aka The Sports Guy on ESPN.com) podcast, and he had a unique way of approaching sports, in that he enjoyed them, but never rooted for a team. He just didn't care who won - which was almost completely unfathomable to me! Even in games where I don't really have any rooting interest, I find myself pulling for one team instead of the other. Anyway, this book is full of similarly unique (some might say bizarre) opinions on a variety of subjects, from the pervasiveness of irony to the tradeoffs involved in our use of technology, all told using pop culture references. Most of the essays, though, reminded me of stoned college conversations that rambled through data and opinion and memory until they sorta maybe kinda had a point at the end, but one so general or so specific that it made a mockery of the time we spent getting there. But I have been using some of the subjects/tidbits Klosterman puts forward in conversation, so I guess I was more affected by the book than I realized.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating the Dinosaur.