Marika Gillis's Reviews > The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs

The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs by Betty G. Birney

Jun 30, 11

bookshelves: battle-of-the-books, childrens-chapter-books, historical-fiction
Read from March 01 to 05, 2011

Eben McAllister doesn't see what's so great about the tiny town where he lives. He would much rather travel to exotic and faraway places where wondrous sightings are just waiting to be visited. Eben's father agrees to send Eben to Colorado on his first faraway adventure if first he can find what is special about his own hometown. So Eben begins to look for the seven wonders of sassafras springs and finds many surprising treasures just outside his own back door.

If Little House on the Prairie married the Antiques Roadshow and had a baby, this book would be that baby. It tells a sweet story, it has a good message, and the writing is decent, but it's a little dull and overly sentimental. I'm not exactly sure why it was chosen for the Battle of the Books list. It's not a book that will excite many students. In fact, I would say this is a book only a reader would love. Unless your child has already solidified an intrinsic joy for reading, I wouldn't recommend this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs.