Jackie Fowler's Reviews > Darcy's Voyage: A Tale of Uncharted Love on the Open Seas

Darcy's Voyage by Kara Louise

Mar 22, 11

Recommended to Jackie by: Books on the Knob
Recommended for: Austen fans
Read from March 02 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: once

** spoiler alert ** This was my first time reading a book that uses the characters and events of Pride and Prejudice to retell the classic story in an original way, and I absolutely loved it! It was so wonderfully well written and done in a way that would please even the most ardent critic of P&P tributes.

The backdrop and introduction of the characters, as well as several scenes with popular snippets of dialogue or key events, are different and yet the story stays true to the characters and the heart of P&P. Any divergence from the story we've come to know and love doesn't stray far. In many cases we get to see events or situations told from an alternate viewpoint, and we get to see what happens between major plot points. It was thrilling and original and yet completely honored the storyline.

I have so many favorite parts of this book, but I cannot hope to list them all. Here are but a few... I loved the way in which Darcy handles Caroline Bingley and Lady Catherine. I loved that Darcy and Elizabeth were already secretly married when all the events happening back in England concerning Jane and Lydia occur. Being in on the secret, the reader gets to revel in supreme smugness as Caroline makes a fool of herself pining for a man that is already secretly married. It is also hilarious, knowing that Elizabeth has already secured Darcy, when Mr. Collins proposes and also when Jane and Mrs. Bennet suggest to Elizabeth to not get her hopes up for a man of Darcy's wealth and social level.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darcy's Voyage.

03/15/2011
03/18/2011
32.0% "Oooo! It's gettin' good! For those who have read this: I'm at the "storm" part :-)"
03/20/2011
50.0% "Can't believe I'm halfway done - so much has happened! Still lovin' it :-)"