Edna Lyn's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Mar 23, 11

bookshelves: 2011, dystopia-utopia, young-adult, science-fiction
Read from March 01 to 05, 2011

In an alternate future, the United States views love as the most feared disease. The government has rigid rules, one where displays of love is the worst crime. Violations can lead you to lobotomies, the crypts, or execution.

This was a fantastic first book to the series. It's beautifully written. I found myself rereading passages because I simply love Lauren Oliver's writing. Suffice it to say, she's transitioned quite well into the sci-fi/dsytopia genre (I still hope for more contemporaries from her though!). However, I do have a few complaints on the world building. People with partners, people with children, people with friends—all of them accepted love as the spawn for discourse? I'm curious to see more light shed on this topic in the next book because I wasn't entirely sold on it. I need a little more concrete evidence for why such a drastic path was taken. I want to get inside the government and see who's the head honcho, if there is one.

I liked watching Lena develop into an independent person with her own thoughts and convictions. She and Alex had great chemistry, their relationship was one I could believe. Alex? Oliver seriously writes the BEST love interests. I loved Alex as much as I loved Kent from Before I Fall. And on the topics of characters, Grace was a standout for me even though she got minimal page time.

There are A LOT of great things that are set up for the next book and I can't wait to get a hold of it.

4.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.