Emily's Reviews > The Beekeeper's Apprentice

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Jun 22, 11

bookshelves: adult-lit, favorites, historical-fiction, mystery, thriller
Read from March 01 to 07, 2011

Overall Review: Meet Mary Russell. Brilliant, lonely, and orphaned, she just happens to stumble onto someone while walking and reading a book. That person is none other than the imitable Sherlock Holmes! From that point on, these two are almost inseparable as Russell begins to learn at the feet of a master. They pass through case after case where I admit to feeling bewildered at times by the things they can ‘see’ and wondering ‘whodunnit’--and we even hear those famous and enshrined words: “Elementary, my dear!” What fun! It has been many years since I’ve read a mystery novel, and even more since I read one as well written and clean as ‘The Beekeeper’s Apprentice’! Ms. King has a thoughtful, profound and insightful writing style. The story is inspiring as we see the inner workings of the mind, and fast paced enough to keep you turning the pages. I loved the banter between Holmes and Mary Russell. I enjoyed seeing many well-known characters again such as Watson, Inspector Lestrade, Mycroft, Mrs. Hudson, and even Moriarty makes a bit of a cameo. This is written much in the same style and language as the original Sherlock Holmes series, so if you are a fan of those, it’s possible you will like this as well. And if you’ve never read one, this is a fun place to start! I’m looking forward to reading more of the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes mysteries! Overall Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Content Review:

PROFANITY: few mild instances

VIOLENCE: few mild instances and one strong instance

SEXUAL CONTENT: None

MATURE THEMES: Moderate

RECOMMENDED AGE GROUP: 16+

There was some profanity scattered throughout. It was never concentrated anywhere, but one mild word here and there every now and then. There is absolutely no sexual content. Since this is a mystery/thriller, there is some violence, but it is reasonable (can you say violence is reasonable?) and not overwhelming. Nothing is written out in gory detail for shock value. Some characters are shot. Bombs are laid and characters are hurt or die. There is a kidnapping. Some characters die. Some characters are held at gunpoint and that is pretty intense. I put the mature theme at moderate just because of the nature of the novel itself. It is, after all, a mystery with a lot of action. Much of it is purely psychological as the facts are revealed and we wonder who it could be and why. I would consider this to be a clean read, and appropriate for ages 16+.

This review was written by Emily
A Squeaky Clean Reads Book Reviewer

To see more fantastic books on review with content in mind, visit us at Squeaky Clean Reads!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy This is one of my favorite comfort serieses! ;)

Emily You're right, Cindy! This is a REALLY fun read! I want to read them all, now! :)

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Some of them in the middle get a little formulaic, but the last two in the series are almost as good as the first. Enjoy!