Breann's Reviews > Wench

Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez

F 50x66
Mar 01, 11

Read in February, 2011

Sunday I left for another quick business trip and upon arriving at the airport discovered I forgot both of my current reads. Nothing makes me crankier than the prospect of a trip with nothing to read, so I dashed to Book People and paid full market price for this unexpected gem of a book. I had very little time to make my selection, but the review suggesting readers of "The Help" would enjoy this title made my decision easy.

With book in hand I boarded the plane I must confess that this engrossing novel kept me from getting much work done and I blasted through it in a day and a half. I had to make myself stop reading for the night or it would have been an 1-sitting book.

How to describe this book about slave mistresses and their masters? At the heart it is a story of friendship and survival. The author does not shy away from the cruelties of slavery or romanticize the relationships between the women and their masters, but she offers four points of view on the complexities of these relationships through her four main characters. Despite some stomach-turning moments, the story of friendship and suspense of what would happen next made it a great read.

As for the suggestion that readers who enjoyed The Help will fall right in step with Wench, that may be a stretch. The only common ground between this novel and The Help is the female friendship story line. This is a story of slavery and its atrocities. Highly recommended but not for the faint of heart.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wench.