julieta's Reviews > The Adventures of Augie March

The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow

Feb 11, 08

bookshelves: favorites, young-americans
Read in February, 2008

The true adventure story is one that not only takes you through a man's life and everything that happens to him, but of his own discovery of who he is and what he wants to be in the world. This book by Bellow is just that. I had only read herzog by him, a very long time ago, but did not get it at all..maybe the time was not right because with the adventures of augie march my experience was completely different, I connected from the first moment, and loved every minute of it. Augie insists on not leading what he calls a "disappointed life" and with that thought his life becomes a true adventure in search of who he really wants to be. And we see every character that crosses his path give cause for reflection on relationships, friendships, family, and everything that can happen when another person affects your life. I loved it. And I can't not mention that the fact that mexico has a presence was also a plus, and the constant presence of many strong, beautiful, eccentric, sometimes annoying, and sometimes great, women and men. Totally recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Augie March.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Willis (new)

Willis Glad I read your review; read Herzog and was put off Bellow a bit. Now I'm more optimistic.

Dario Agree with every bit of your comment! Read Herzog in college and didn't really get it. Now nearly 20 years later this resonated with me in a completely different way. His writing explodes off every page--so inspired.