Tatiana's Reviews > Eona

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, ya, aus-nz
Recommended for: fantasy enthusiasts
Read from March 16 to 19, 2011

As seen on The Readventurer

If you liked Eon: Dragoneye Reborn and your eyes didn't glaze over every time you read about Eona uniting with her dragon, easing into her mind-sight, channeling her Hua and so forth, I don't see any reason for you to dislike this novel. I really don't.

I feel like every issue I had with the 1st book of this duology was successfully fixed or improved upon in this sequel.

Eona, unlike its predecessor, has no info-dumping. Instead, it is a quest-type adventure in which Eona attempts to save her home country and in the process learn to control her newly acquired immense power.

It is also a very personal story. The time is no longer spent on extensive world-building, but on Eona's exploration of her power as both a Dragoneye and a woman.

Of course, everything is messy. With great power comes great responsibility - how much violence is justified in war? what is the rightful cause to use one's power against another person's will? who can be trusted with limitless access to power? and what can power do to a person who possesses it?

The romance story line is no less complicated - romantic relationships are convoluted by mistrust, fear of deception, power imbalances, questions of morality, loyalty and honor.

Every decision Eona has to make is ambiguous and difficult and requiring serious sacrifices, just the way I like them.

But the best part of the book for me was the fact that when I started it, I was sure it would simply be about saving the Empire of Celestial Dragons from Sethon, but it turned out to be much more than that, sort of like in Shadowfever (Note: no other similarities! So don't hold this comparison against me later on, ok?)

I am thoroughly impressed by this intelligent, complex and thoughtful story. Highly recommend it, unless, of course, you can't stand fantasy, dragons and heavy world building.

Night Owl Reviews
92 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eona.

03/17 page 43
7.0% 1 comment
03/17 page 210
32.0% "Hm, this book is kinda hot..." 5 comments
03/18 page 405
62.0% 3 comments
02/15 marked as: read

Krystle I am just foaming at the mouth thinking about this book! LoL. The release date just cannot come any faster. X_X.

Tatiana I know the feeling:)

Krystle OMG! FIVE STARS. @_@. I must get this now!!!!

Tatiana You will love it. I'd share it with you, but I already promised it to someone:(

Krystle ^ LoL, it's okay. I'm sure my library will have it soon. If not, I'll buy it. XD!

Catie Wow, 5 stars!!! Very excited now.

message 7: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne Is this one considered high fantasy? Is it really hardcore? Looks interesting, but I usually like a love interest or two thrown in ;)

Tatiana So, I looked it up on wiki, to me it fits the best "sword and sorcery" fantasy. It's not very hardcore, but definitely "harder" than, let's say
Poison Study or Graceling

There is lurve:)

Vinaya Oooh, I want to know more about the lurve! (Since I read all the spoilery discussions on your Eon review, and am dying of curiosity!) I've ordered Eon but it's gonna take ages to come, ugh!

Tatiana I am not telling:O)

message 11: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery I got the first one at the library because of how much you loved this one. But, I mean, what does me getting it from the library even mean these days? I can keep it for eons. (hehe, eons)

Tatiana LOL. I am as fickle - if I check something out of the lib, it's no guarantee I will ever read it. Just keep hauling stuff home and back...

message 13: by Hamda (new)

Hamda Almuhairi You don't read that many fantasy books from what I can tell (your shelves) so I guess if you really liked this one then it's a must-have.

Looking forward to reading Eon.

Catie When I read you review it's like, "Yes! I love that stuff too!" I think that the narrator ruined this book for me :(

message 15: by Tatiana (last edited Apr 26, 2011 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana What can I say? I am still blaming that awful (IMO) narrator for not liking The Windup Girl enough:)

Catie Yeah, so I guess you know what I'm talking about :) I think that I might re-read this one.

Brandi Can this be read as a stand alone, or should I start with the first?

Tatiana No, this is not a standalone. Reading Eon: Dragoneye Reborn first is a must.

Brandi Tatiana wrote: "No, this is not a standalone. Reading Eon: Dragoneye Reborn first is a must."

Thanks! I don't know why I had added this one when I usually start with book 1, but now I won't get lost when I start. Thank you!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm very keen to read this but would you reckon this to Finnikin of the Rock lovers?

Tatiana Well, I love Finnikin and I think Eona books are great too.

message 22: by Tiko (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tiko is this series finished or will there be more books? i just dont like starting on-goings :D

Tatiana Only two books.

message 24: by Tiko (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tiko thanks ^_^

message 25: by Hung (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hung So it has only 2 books in the series o_o

message 26: by Bianca (new)

Bianca I love the description of EON, where my eyes DID glaze over every time I read about eona having no clue.