Isamlq's Reviews > The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)

The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1) by L.J. Smith

Mar 01, 2011

did not like it
Read from March 01 to 02, 2011

If the show had not been made, if I had not read a ton of other vampire books, THE AWAKENING might have been OK. Since the show was made and since I have read a ton of YA PNR with vampires as the central figure… I am amazed that I finished it.

First: This book pales in comparison to the show. So from here on out I am not even going to bother with a comparison.

Second: I hate Elena! Flighty, believing herself entitled, and very insensitive to the needs and feelings of those around her (poor Matt!) I really did not like how she seemed to feel herself entitled (i.e. once she had set her sights on Steffan, nothing mattered: Not her boyfriend. Not her friends.) I suppose I should admire her go get him attitude. Sadly, I just could not! The only thing that I agreed with was her assessment of Katherine. Which leads me to the boys, Steffan and Damon. Nothing new to them. Hot, brooding… bla bla bla. I suppose I am being a tad harsh especially considering that these books were first published in 1991(?) So I suppose they’re trailblazers, the first of their kind at the time… I would not know.

But I am stubborn because I’m reading the rest. I intend to answer in the affirmative (and with a straight face) that, yes, I did read the books she got me.
19 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1).

04/26 marked as: read

message 1: by Ariyana (new)

Ariyana Spencer I agree completely! I might have enjoyed The Awakening if was a young teen who had never read many vampire stories. I've been listening to the free audiobook that came with Season 1 of The Vampire Diaries, and I much prefer the Elena of the TV show. She seems to actually have a brain between her ears.