Pete daPixie's Reviews > Pompeii: The Living City

Pompeii by Alex Butterworth

Mar 11, 2011

bookshelves: history-roman
Read from March 09 to 10, 2011

At first I wasn't too sure about this books content. It is written by two authors, Butterworth and Lawrence. The former is a writer and dramatist, the latter a research fellow in archaeology and antiquity. With the two authors, there are two threads to 'Pompeii The Living City', published 2005.
Lawrence is very informative and covers the history of Pompeii and Campania from 54AD to the eruption of Vesuvius in August 79AD. Interwoven with the history is Butterworth's fictional narrative, that is based on the archaeological and historical findings. It was this fictional interpretation that I thought may have got in the way of a good history book...but in actual fact, I think it works well, helping to add colour and details of the many inhabitants of the city that we know something of.
The two authors have combined to actually produce a valid and quite vivid picture of this doomed city and it's people in a most original and imaginative format.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pompeii.

Linda Harkins You must be a speed reader to have finished this book in two days, Pete! I checked it out of the library a week ago, but won't finish it until tomorrow. I rather like the way the two authors have combined their talents. I thought Yours for Two Coins was an enlightening chapter.

Pete daPixie Linda wrote: "You must be a speed reader to have finished this book in two days, Pete! I checked it out of the library a week ago, but won't finish it until tomorrow. I rather like the way the two authors have..."
Yes Linda agreed. The two authors have produced an original format. Very rich with info on Pompeii and 1stC Rome. Very interesting how they speculate on the actual identities of some of the 'bodies' excavated.