chanceofbooks's Reviews > It Had to Be You

It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Feb 28, 11

bookshelves: 2011-read
Read in February, 2011

3.5 stars. This book consistently makes top five lists of all time favorite romances, so when I saw that our library had the ebook version, I decided to give it a try. As it's from 1994, there's a good chance I have read this before. But it is also possible that it just feels so familiar because every sports romance that followed after used the same winning formula: clueless but hot girl is forced to interact with pro sports Guy who resents her presence until she saves the day. And most novels attempting this formula don't succeed nearly as well as this 17 year old classic. My 1994 teenage self would have given this five stars and multiple reads, but my 2011 self really disliked Phoebe. Phoebe struck me as a blonde Katy Perry inwardly wailing that no one takes her seriously or sees beyond her body while wearing ridiculous costumes that are heavy on the cleavage and light on pants. She uses sex as a weapon to disarm men, which after awhile made her seem highly manipulative and petty. Especially since she herself seemed to hate her public persona, I just wanted her to just drop all the antics. However, the antics do lead to a lot of laugh outloud fun, great secondary characters, and some pretty sweet love scenes with an amazing hero---Dan is the truly timeless element of this. book and makes this book required reading for all who love and write in the genre.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Had to Be You.