Amanda's Reviews > Dark Mirror

Dark Mirror by M.J. Putney

F 50x66
Feb 28, 2011

Read from February 28 to March 01, 2011

As a fan of both young adult fiction and historical fiction, I absolutely love it when the two genres find the opportunity to come together. Dark Mirror by M.J. Putney is one such opportunity and, from beginning to end, this enchanting novel manages to deliver exciting action, great character development and a twisty, unexpected plot that offers multiple layers.

Dark Mirror tells the story of young Lady Victoria (or, Tory) Mansfield, the daughter of a noble British family. All she's ever wanted is to live a normal life, get married to a man of excellent connections and, most importantly, to be treated befitting of her station. But Tory has magic, which the nobles have long found disgusting and common. When this is discovered, Tory is sent away to the prison-like school Lackland Abbey to get rid of her magic. But the school holds more secrets than Tory could ever imagine. After discovering a strange mirror, she is hurled forward in the future to World War II area-Britain, at a time where things are the most bleak for England.

Dark Mirror took me to different places than what I expected. I never thought I'd end up with a time-traveling historical fiction novel that's got so much amazing action. The plot is fast-paced and easy to follow, as well as enjoyable, and there's plenty of action. Author M.J. Putney also does an excellent job merging two very different time periods together while still keeping each period true to itself.

I was most impressed by Putney's ability to create a fascinating and compelling main character that readers just want to root for. While there is a romance element to the story, Dark Mirror focuses more on Tory's transformation from a somewhat spoiled lady of leisure to a strong, determined and hard-working young woman who couldn't care less about titles.

Probably the only tiny issue with this book is that it feels a little too rushed at certain points, most particularly the middle, when Tory spends time training others in magic. I just feel as though so many things happened "off camera" here (character relationships being developed, Tory experiencing more growth, etc.) that I was missing something. Would have liked to have seen a little more of this.

Overall though, a great YA offering. Definitely recommended -can't wait for the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Mirror.

03/01/2011 page 207