Joanne's Reviews > The Stormchasers

The Stormchasers by Jenna Blum

Feb 28, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I really liked the first third of this book, where Karena receives a phone call on her birthday from a Wichita hospital letting her know that her estranged twin brother, Charles, is there and has listed her as next of kin. Hoping to reunite with Charles, she rushes there to find that he's been released, since the hospital was treating him for a panic attack instead of the severe mental illness that she knows he has. She sets out to find Charles, who is an avid stormchaser, by joining a stormchasing tourist group, despite being very afraid of storms herself.

I liked the book for attempting to portray the extreme emotional effects mental illness has on the person's nearest and dearest. I liked it for some of its witty dialogue and for its realistic description of Midwestern prairies and small towns. I did not like it for its overstated mental-illness-as-storm metaphor, for its unnecessary romantic plot coupling, for its Dark Secret Which Must Come Out, and for its happy-go-lucky unrealistic ending.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stormchasers.