Skjam!'s Reviews > The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction

The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction by Arthur Evans

Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: sf, anthologies, published-2001-2010, author-e
Read from February 28 to March 11, 2011

This is a collection of SFnal short stories designed to give an overview of the field for a college level literature course. It's arranged chronologically by year of publication, from 1844 (Nathaniel Hawthorne, "Rappachini's Daughter") to 2008 (Ted Chiang, "Exhalation".) Most of these are "classic" or "important" stories, though the Jules Verne entry is a bit of a cheat, being just an excerpt from "Journey to the Center of the Earth."

I was surprised to see how many of the later stories I actually had read or heard (via podcast) before; I really haven't kept up with the latest developments in the field. In general, the selection is strong, but a couple of the more "experimental" stories barely qualify as speculative fiction, let alone science fiction. This tends to irritate me, and I remember feeling the same way the first time I read at least one of those stories.

A specific effort has been made to include female authors and writers of color, which is much appreciated, and led to the inclusion of one of the stories I hadn't seen before: Leslie F. Stone's, "The Conquest of Gola."

Overall, I'd recommend this book to any adult science fiction fan, and precocious teenagers (later stories tend to veer into mature themes.) Even the stories that irritate me are well-written, and may suit readers with less orthodox tastes than mine.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction.