Steve's Reviews > Vertical

M 50x66
Feb 28, 2011

did not like it
Read in February, 2011

I loved Sideways and was really looking forward to this book. Unfortunately, I was dismayed from page 1.

To begin with, it has a disappointingly unimaginative premise. It’s a sequel to Sideways which blends fiction and reality—Miles (the spit-bucket chugger protagonist) wrote a book about his escapades in Sideways, which is re-titled in this fictional landscape as “Shameless.” It was then turned into a movie, which shaped the wine industry and killed Merlot. Sound familiar? But this could be forgiven if the new escapades were even interesting—they are not. All of Miles’ character advancement from Sideways is gone, Jack’s moral fortitude has further withered, and both go off on a boozing and whoring adventure whose point it seems is to ferret out accolades from other drunks as to just how wonderful the previous “Shameless” novel and movie were. The pages just about reach out and pat the back of the book while reading it.

I will admit to feeling a whimper of remorse for dogging it without finishing the book, but I gave it just past the halfway mark before determining that it probably ends with Miles finding some redemption that I’m no longer interested in.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vertical.

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris "The pages just about reach out and pat the back of the book while reading it." - Wish I'd written that line.

Steve Many thanks, kind sir.

message 3: by Anne (new) - rated it 1 star

Anne You have absolutely nailed it, Steve. I agree with every word.

Steve Anne wrote: "You have absolutely nailed it, Steve. I agree with every word."
Thanks.