Trisha's Reviews > Flash Burnout

Flash Burnout by L.K. Madigan

Jul 30, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, favourites
Read from July 21 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** I'm really kind of surprised at the average rating of this novel - under 4 stars?? I thought it was a really fantastic novel and I can't really find anything to fault, at least not off the top of my head. I haven't read anyone else's reviews yet, but that should be interesting.

I laughed out loud (snorted, really) on so many occasions, but obviously it had its sad moments too. I absolutely LOVED Blake's narration, and think that L.K. Madigan (R.I.P.) was a genius being able to write this.

It ended on a surprisingly (for me) not "happily ever after" note. I guess I'm not used to YA stories that don't end with some amount of HEA. I mean, it wasn't a depressing ending per se, but Blake's life had kind of fallen into tatters by the end, even if some things were looking up.

I absolutely adore the interaction between the brothers, and love the family dynamics in their household. Shannon's parents are pretty hateful, not that that excuses Blake's behaviour, but still, they made me want to smack 'em!! And Marissa was an idiot in the end, and I honestly am still finding myself worrying about her, even though the novel is over and I need to move on now. LOL. I'm actually sitting here, hoping she'll be okay. And she's a fictional person!! But yeah...guess that's the power of good fiction for ya. It sticks with you.

I'd recommend this book to anyone with teenaged sons - damn, I'd recommend it TO those sons - or pretty much anyone at all. If you're a girl and you've got a brother, you might find it enlightening too. All in all I can't help but give this book 5 stars, and wish that L.K. Madigan hadn't passed away before her time so she could write more brilliant novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flash Burnout.