Ryan's Reviews > A Man Without a Country

A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

M 50x66
Jun 03, 08

Recommended for: don't know who else would like it...
Read in February, 2008

I picked this up to check it out, and then sat down and read the whole thing, right there in the bookstore, and I loved it!

As a developing liberal humanist myself, I felt that this 82 year old sage had deposited stores of wisdom into these pages. Wry wit about the mess of our Bush, Dick, and Colon means something more coming from this author of Slaughterhouse-Five, a World War II veteran. The book is not, however, (a bit to my disappointment) a comprehensive condemnation of America's King George - it is nowhere near that focused. Measured by volume, a greater part of this writing, I think, was dedicated to an examination of the art of writing, or of story telling.

What began as contributions to In These Times magazine comes together to prove itself fun, wise, and playfully insightful. Among the many fascinating jewels that I appreciated, there is one that I found most urgent in its potency: "Our daily news sources, newspaper and TV, are now so craven, so unvigilant on behalf of the American people, so uninformative, that only in books do we learn what is really going on." The sole example he chooses to give in the text is House of Bush, House of Saud, written by Craig Unger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Man Without a Country.