Brenda's Reviews > Roadside Crosses

Roadside Crosses by Jeffery Deaver

Mar 27, 11

Read in March, 2011

Well, this is a "chapter" book written by Jeffrey Deaver. He generally writes detective novels, the kind where there are some clues, but never enough information for you to possibly figure out the case before he's ready to tell you.

I generally enjoy reading a series of books with a recurring character, that is, if I like the character. This protagonist is Kathryn Dance, a 40s something FBI agent raising 2 children after the death of her husband.

Kathryn's specialty is kinesic forensics (or something like that). She has a unique ability to determine if someone is lying, blocking, fearful of revealing information, etc. by watching their mannerisms and body language. A human lie detector, if you will.

Deaver keeps her human, though. She makes mistakes, she occasionally second guesses herself, and may initially misread the cues. I like her not being perfect. Makes it easier to believe she could be real.

Without going into the plot (what does it matter,anyway), I will say that this is a good (not great) read. I find Deaver fairly imaginative and, as I said before, his characters are fallible but they always seem to make up for it in the end.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roadside Crosses.

message 1: by Dick (new)

Dick Tatro Great review. I think I would like to read this book. You made it sound very interesting. Thank you.